1. While shopping in a department, I _ _ left my purse lying on a counter of handbags.
[ A ] initially [ B ] fortunately
[ C ] frustratedly [ D ] accidentally
2. According to the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, wisdom comes from the __ of maturity.
[ A ] fulfillment [ B ] achievement
[ C ] establishment [ D ] accomplishment
3. Retail sales volume in local urban and rural areas rose 57.8% and 46.8% , __, over February
[ A ] individually [ B ] respectively
[ C ] correspondingly [ D ] accordingly
4. The cashier was asked to __ every penny of the money that he took care of.
[ A ] account tn [ B ] use up
[ C ] amount to [ D ] account for
5. Today chemicals are used to destroy crop insects, to preserve food, and to purify our water, among oth-
[ A ] matters [ B ] things
[ C ] businesses [ D ] accounts
6. If the fir?alarm is sounded, all residents are requested to __ in the courtyard.
[ A ] converge [ B ] assemble
[ C ] crowd [ D ] accumulate
7. The managing director took the __ for the accident, although it was not really his fault.
[ A ] guilt [ B ] blamc
[ C ] charge [ D ] accusation
8. If someone is frowning, we __ that he or she is sad or angry.
[A] infer [ B ] claim
[C] anti,.ipate [ D ] acknowledge
9. I with thanks the help of my colleagues in the preparation of this new column.
[ A ] express [ B ] confess
[ C ] verily [ D ] acknowledge
10. Mrs. Green has been living in town for only one year, yet she seems to be __ with everyone
who comes to the store.
[ A ] accepted [ B ] admitted
[ C ] admired [ D ] acquainted
11. Telecommunication developments enable the sending of messages television, radio and very
shortly, electronic mail to bombard people with many messages.
[ A ] via ［ B] amid
[ C ] past [ D ] across
12. A man has to make __ for his old age by putting aside enough money to live on when old.
[ A ] supply [ B ] assurance
[ C ] provision [ D ] adjustment
13. The government agency responsible for the of such standards was the FCC.
[ A ] approval [ B ] proposition
[ C ] consent [ D ] agreement
14. When travelling, you are advised to take the travelers' checks, which provide a secure
carrying your money in cash.
[ A ] substitute [ B ] selection
[ C ] preference [ D ] alternative
15. My students found the book: it provided them with an abundance of information on the sub-
[ a ] enlightening [ B ] confusing
[ C ] distracting [ D ] amusing
16. The doctor was asked to go back to the hospital because of case.
[ a ] an operation [ B ] an emergency
[C ] a treatment [ D ] an incident
17. In spite of the wide range of reading material specially written or __ for language learning pur-
poses, there is yet no comprehensive systematic program for the reading skills.
[ a ] adapted [ B ] acknowledged
[ C ] assembled [ D ] appointed
18. The problem has simply because you didn't follow my instructions.
[ A ] raised [ B ] aroused
[ C ] risen [ D ] arisen
19. To my surprise, the house which looked rather shabby outside was luxuriously and ___ fur-
[ A ] artificially [ B ] arbitrarily
[ C ] arrogantly [ D ] artistically
20. It is well-known that the retired workers in our country are free medical care.
[ A ] entitled to [ B ] involved in
[ C ] associated with [ D ] assigned to.